EKF’s scholarship program encourages and supports native Hawaiians towards higher educational opportunities. It was the greatest wish of Luka and Edith Kanaka‘ole for Native Hawaiian youth and adults to realize the value of a Western education while maintaining one’s Hawaiian cultural identity through cultural education. The EKF scholarship is an annual award that provides supplemental financial assistance (This scholarship is not meant to be the applicant’s primary source of higher education funding). EKF assists students in higher education both in Western institutions of education and in formal native Hawaiian institutions of education.
Hālau o Kekuhi is the primary fundraising entity for EKF’s higher education scholarship program*.
- You must be whole or part-native Hawaiian ancestry.
- You must demonstrate financial need.
- You must attend a school located on Hawai‘i Island.
- You must be in residence on Hawai‘i Island.
- You must enroll as a full-time student.
- You must agree to participate and complete a giveback program.
- You must have at least a 2.5 GPA in all previous high school/higher education work.
- You must maintain a 3.0 GPA during the school year of your award.
Applications are available in May for the following school year. For an application, send your written request during the month of April to:
Edith Kanaka‘ole Foundation
Higher Education Scholarship
1500 Kalaniana‘ole Ave
Hilo HI 96720-4914
*This scholarship is partially funded by the Hālau o Kekuhi and partially by tax-deductible donations and may or may not be available from year to year.